Sunday 19 August 2012

"We'll All Float On Any Way Well"

My host father took me with him and part of his very large family to a wedding in the Volta region on the 18th of August. After a 2 or 3 hour drive on some very bumpy roads I found myself in one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. These 2 hours (by bus) landed us in the mountains where the Volta River runs down into a large lake. Being out of the hectic city was exactly what I needed.

The town that the wedding took place in was called Akosombo. This is actually the same place where the Volta dam is located, as well as a large dump site for trash. A fun fact, both sites contribute to creating a large amount of electricity to the surrounding areas of Ghana.

The wedding that we attended was for my host father's aunt. Since I went with his family I was able to meet many of his nieces, a brother, his mother, and many many more people. Everyone was a joy to be around, however it was definitely apparent that they were not used to being around an Obruni. Because of this, I think it took them a while to figure out how/why/what I was doing in Ghana and with their family in general. They all speak Ewe as their first language too, so the communication was a little rough, but nevertheless, a good experience. I hope to see them all again.

The wedding was also a mass wedding, and a Catholic ceremony at that. By mass wedding, I mean that there were 21 couples from different parts of Ghana getting married during the same ceremony. What an experience. I (once again) forgot my camera, so any pictures here are googled. I am sorry that I can't show you what the ceremony looked like. There were probably more than 1,000 people at this ceremony, and at least 100 of them were part of my host family.


I would also like to take the time to point out a few things about Ghana. Notice in the picture about the stands- all part of the informal economy that seems to support many many people in Ghana...maybe even though country as a whole. If I am sitting in a Trotro (bus) or a taxi during traffic I can buy anything that I want from a lady that is carrying merchandise. Similarly, the stands are like mini markets that hold a collection of random things. So fruit, phone minutes, movies, water, gum, etc are all able to be obtained at these places. It is definitely a site of discussion for those interested in the intersectionality of gender, economy, ethnicity, corporation, status, and much more.


Speaking of shopping, the day before the wedding I went to Kantamanto Market in Accra. This is one of the biggest and busiest markets in the city. It was a fun, yet highly claustrophobic experience. I was able to bargain for some shoes and two skirts.  Later on, I will be looking for fabric to make traditional clothing. The traditional women's attire is so pretty and they all wear it well. Also, the clothing is made for each individual so it fits perfectly. The fabrics are full of color and pattern, durable, and elegant. I am too excited to start this process!

Today, Sunday the 19th of August, I went to church with one of my brothers. Religion (specifically Christianity in Southern Ghana) is a big deal. Recently BBC voted Ghana one of the most religion nations in the world. Topics of faith, religion, acceptance, etc. are daily conversations and Ghanaians are comfortable talking to anyone (even strangers) about religion. This is a big difference from the US and honestly, I am finding it a little difficult to adjust to. I am hoping to soon find a fitting way to be comfortable in such discussions while also being true to myself and my own spirituality. Gender is also something that I am interested in unraveling even more. Every day I experience first hand the power that identity plays into interactions we have with others. Being female, white, and ambiguous with religion, I am finding interesting dynamics flowing through my days. I am curious to see how my classmates from the US and I break through these barriers. We are like children, learning new things every day, understanding better how to cope with a new life and environment.

In the words of Modest Mouse, "already we'll all float on alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy, we'll all float on all right."

No comments:

Post a Comment