Sunday 19 August 2012

Just Call me Abena

My friends, I am in Ghana! I have decided that a general blog will be the best way to communicate with everyone and share my experiences more often. I hope this finds you well. So far, these past 2ish weeks have been full of excitement, and I am starting to realize that I truly am in Ghana. I am sorry to say that I have been bad at taking pictures, but I will try my best in the future. Just so you know, I live in the greater area of Accra, the capital city.


            I could not have had a better first week in this beautiful country. Since I am writing this in hindsight it is hard for me to begin to share my days, but I will try. I feel like a child- I am learning how to say words, like welcome, good morning, and how are you. Objects are named different things and so I too am also learning perspectives in objectivity. For instance, Ghana grows delicious avocados, yet they are not called avocados, but pears. These pears are not our American sweet pears but instead the most delicious avocado. Perspective- this was one of my major lessons this week.
            The flights from Houston to Accra created a time warp of surrealism. To fly a total of 22 hours across the Atlantic in a capsule helped to preserve my American culture until I found myself in the customs line of Accra. My passport in itself upheld its identity and made everything I did a breeze. What a strange sensation. Rules in Ghana are not so strict, even in border lines at the airport. A few US students and I were moved from the international customs line to the South African line (a separate line due to alliances in the country) in order to shorted the length of time. So those of us that got in that line had a very easy time getting through by showing our Ghanaian visas and our US passports whereas the others were hassled and told their visas were only for 60 days. We all got through, and we all have 60 day visas, but the point is that where you stand in Ghana makes a big difference. Perspective.
            Our program picked a group of 20 students up from the airport at 10pm. The CIEE leaders are so wonderful; they have made the trip friendly, easy, and welcoming. Akwaaba. This was our first Twi word- it means “welcome”. Akwaaba we were told over and over again to make sure that it stuck and sunk in.
            Another fun fact about my program is that there are 3 Annas. We have all decided that this has probably never happened in the history of the name Anna (joking of course.) And, to make a funnier situation, another Anna and I were roommates at the hotel during orientation. It was nice though, because everyone knows the three of us, I never have to repeat my name. From the beginning I have been a part of something and I know that while my situations will evolve, I will find ways to integrate myself into great spaces in Ghana. On a similar note, my day name is Abena. Everyone in Ghana has a name based on the week day that they were born. So to the other Abenas, they are my sisters by day. What a way to create unity, yeah?
            There have been too many events in the past  2 weeks to recount, and I apologize for not writing them on the computer as they happened. I have been journaling for personal use, but I forgot to list the days happenings. So instead, I will list some things and explain some others:
·         I learned the currency exchange between Dollars and Cedis. Basically, 1 cedi is 50 cents; everything here is half. So, if I realistically buy a mango for 50 pesewas (there are 100 pesewas in a cedi) then I am actually paying 25 US cents. Joy to the US currency at this moment, but nevertheless another lesson in perspective, or should I say privilege.
·         I learned how to bargain. I can lower the price of almost anything. So instead of getting the “Obruni” (white person’s price), I can get the real negotiated price.
·         I learned how to get taxis, trotros (buses), and where to walk
·         I learned that Ghana only has open gutters…and that I should avoid at all cost to not fall in…hahaha
·         I have learned how it feels to be a minority, and more so, my experiences so far have showed me that racial constructions in the US do not carry over. Race is not the same. Being white here means money, but it also just means that you are foreign. Ethnic groups are the main difference, and it tends to be grouped by language. The greater Accra area (where I live) is mostly Asante, and the bigger language is Twi. However my family is from the Volta region (the Volta is a lake) and they speak Ewe first. I hope to learn more of their lineage as the months go on.
·         I have learned that respect is the most important factor to Ghanaians. Hospitality is what everyone deserves to receive.
·         I learned where campus is
·         I learned how to register for classes
·         I got a cell phone
·         I learned to use my voice and personality as a graceful tool when I do not know how to do something. I know that I can always ask for help.
·         I learned that politics in Ghana try to reflect the US (because to them, we are a great nation, at least in government and economics.)
·         I have seen the surface level problems that developing countries face. My house is very wealthy (and large). I have running water yet the electricity goes out frequently. The water is only suitable to drink or consume if it is bottled or boiled, never ever from the faucet. There are cars but the roads are dirt and some look like they were recently dug. I can drive 5 minutes and see extreme poverty, yet I know that I have not even begun to see the worst. So, I feel so lucky to live with my family in East Legon.
·         I saw a monkey chained like a dog to a tree on campus…maybe it was a pet?
·         Note: goats in the back yard or chickens might be pets one day and dinner the next. They do not have names.
·         Meat and starch are the main diet of Ghanaians...
·         Ghana is one of the most religious countries in the world, Southern Ghana (where I am) is extremely Christian. Everything people do here is lead by their faith.
·         I have learned that Ghanaian men want to talk to white girls…hahaha
·         I can literally buy a coconut to drink (it is absolutely delicious and full of vitamins and minerals).
So many things have happened and this is just the surface of everything. I wish I could remember everything.  As for my family, I have two older brothers, two sisters (one has a baby girl), a father, and a mother. This family is so kind and I cannot wait to be fully integrated into their lives. I am sure that in time that will happen. 

I started classes on Monday however I only sat through a few lectures. Things are slower here so I don't expect classes to be in full swing until the middle of next week. This week, due to a public holiday and my class schedule, I have a 5 day weekend- yay me! I am hoping to start my internship next week. The organization I will be working for is called WILDAF, if you have time maybe you can google it. WILDAF deals with women in development for the purpose of helping them with legal issues. Hopefully I can do well with that. 

I will try my best to keep this blog up-to-date. Please feel free to email or facebook me too!

With much love,
Anna 

No comments:

Post a Comment