Wednesday 29 August 2012

"All the People that Come and Go, Stop and Say Hello"


I have come across many creatures in Ghana so far. There have been horses, monkeys, mosquitoes, birds of every size, dogs with funny Yoda ears, and cats that should belong to Egyptians. I even had a lizard sharing my room with me for a few days. However, it was not until today that I encountered such a scary animal- the fast and furious spider-breaching-tarantula. Now, knowing me, this was naturally a justified excuse for a heart attack. Luckily, I have an older brother, and I have come to the conclusion that the roles of a brother are universal. So, when the beast moved, I may or may not have screamed, but I definitely booked it out of my room. My brother, Leslie, came to the rescue, and laughingly alleviated the situation. 


I have always been lucky to have a brother to come and save the day when scary bugs appear. When I first saw this spider I think I died a little inside because (1) I had no clue what to do about it given the fact that I was not in a million years going to get close enough with a shoe to kill it, and (2) The fact that I didn't have Daniel around to fix the problem spurred a bit of nostalgia for home. Ironically, this incident lifted my spirits a bit because I found the brotherly/familial qualities in Leslie. I am not alone here, even though some moments can feel a little isolating. I've been reflecting this past week on courage. I have been a bit bogged down by some intimidating factors. After my spider incident, I think that maybe it isn't courage that I need more of but rather the ability to receive help/friendship/recognition/return of others around me that I have been passing away from. So Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, life goes on, as do my adventures in Accra!

 
Along the lines of adventures, I went to LaBadie Beach in Accra a few weekends ago. My friends and I got there earlier than the beach crowd so we got to enjoy the peaceful ocean before the crowds took over. My friends here (all CIEE students as well) are quite a comical bunch. There is Ian, a spacy yet enthusiastic kid from Indiana, Anil, our bodyguard/boyfriend/husband from New Jersey, Jessalyn, a girl from Tulane that I met here in Ghana, Paige, Tera, and Cassie. So off we went to the beach, ready for the extreme sun, cold water, and relaxation. This beach turned out to be more of a market than a beach. People were selling everything from bracelets to dresses and art, beer, and basically anything else that you could ever want. We had a good time at the beach and are planning our next excursion to the nicer, cleaner, and more secluded beaches of Ghana. 






So if I haven't mentioned transportation yet it is because I am still figuring it out. To get to school I take taxis (way cheaper here than in the US). I can also walk to some places depending on time of day and if I am in a hurry. Another form of public transit is the trotro. This invention is kind of like a bus...except they are vans that have been slightly converted. They actually remind me of the New Orleans street car in a way because they are often extremely overcrowded, hot, and guarantee an interesting experience every time. I actually really enjoy them so far and I take them whenever they are available in the direction I am going. 

This weekend I will be heading to the Ashanti region with my program. I am so excited about it so keep a lookout for a post in the upcoming week with pictures!

1 comment: