Thursday 27 September 2012

Oh Baby Baby it's a Wild World

Today was a good day. As I have mentioned, I am an intern for WiLDAF Ghana, an NGO that stands for Women in Law and Development in Africa. They are a very vocal organization that deals with the entire spectrum of women's issues, from land ownership, to domestic abuse, to women in politics. I work for for the communication and advocacy department of WiLDAF, and most of the time I just follow the newspapers and note any news reports that deal with gender, youth, and the disabled.

Today was different. Since Ghana is holding their presidential elections in December WiLDAF held a dialogue conference on women. Here, 3 of the 5 main presidential candidates had to personally answer questions about social issues facing Ghanaians and share their specific strategies for reducing the problems. While the current president was not in attendance many other important government officials were still there. Even the ambassador of Israel which I had a chance to say hi to. I was crossing my fingers that my connection with WiLDAF would let me meet the candidates however they bolted before that was an option. Oh well. It was still pretty awesome to feel like an important member of a political dialogue such as this (especially since WiLDAF has a small staff and my direct supervisor was the main cause of the program.)

Even though this was a small feat in the progression of women's issues entering the public political discussion it was still noteworthy. There will be a few more events such as this one and I am excited for the opportunities that this job will bring.

Oh, someone asked me if I was journalist, I don't know why, but that made me happy, haha. Just another day in Ghana...

Happy Thursday Yall!

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool. Journalist sounds pretty great actually. So many things you could do with a degree like yours.

    ReplyDelete