Monday 17 September 2012

Hohoe Excursion!!!

This past weekend 6 of my friends and I traveled 5 hours north to the Volta region to Hohoe. What an adventure! Full of ups and downs, literally, we found ourselves in some difficult situations that ended up to be extremely worth while. I was up before dawn around 4am so that we could start our journey without delay. After wandering around Makola market in downtown Accra for an hour we finally found the correct bus to Ho (the midway point to our destination.) This bus was quite funny. My friend Terra had to hold on to a refrigerator so that it wouldn't fall over, there were live chickens on this bus, and everyone seemed to be carrying as much stuff as possible with them.

From Ho we picked a trotro to Hohoe. It was the best trotro experience we have had since there were only 7 of us in it instead of the average 11. After checking into our hotel (which I wouldn't recommend to anyone) we traveled to Mount Afadjato. This was the hardest hike I have been on in a long time. The 45 minute climb was vertical and, being the tallest peak in Ghana it's at an altitude of 885 meters. The view was beautiful! (Note on pictures: my camera and phone have dead batteries to I will share my friends' pictures with you as I get them...again.) Oh! I should mention that the trotro that took us to the mountain crammed 22 people into (and on-top-of) the car. Might I add that all trotros are the same size...so there are 11 seats...


On the way down from the mountain we went by a different trail. I think we all spent more time on our butts and hands and knees than on our feet. We basically fell down the mountain! Luckily we had no injuries so it was all laughter. The unfortunate part of coming down was when we came to the realization that we had ended up on the other side of the mountain in a different village...still a tourist destination because of Tagbo falls yet a separate entity when it comes to travel and tours. After explaining why we had basically trespassed into the village we got motorbikes back to Hohoe, and honestly, this was the best part of Friday. None of us could wipe the smiles off our faces when we got off the bikes- we all had a blast. We got back to Hohoe a little after dark; what a full day!

We had some problems with the hotel that we were staying in so we decided to relocate the next day (Saturday) to a different hotel called Taste Lodge. This was the best decision ever! They had food, blankets, towels, toilet paper, hospitality, and little mold, all of which were not part of the previous hotel. So starting the day off with another round of bread, peanut butter, and bananas we left around 10am to Wli Waterfalls. These are probably the most spectacular waterfalls in Ghana. Another plus, the trotro ride had less people and less bumpy road.

Since the rainy season has experienced less rain than usual we were able to hike to the upper falls. This included an hour and a half extreme hike to the  falls. I thought I was gonna die. The hike up to the gorgeous falls was very similar to the mountain hike, and there were points were I literally though my legs were not long enough to reach the next step. The physical pain was well worth what we came across at the falls though and I was proud that I was able to accomplish the hike. I will show yall pictures of the upper falls later but I currently have pictures of the lower falls that we saw once we climbed back down. Funny enough, for a dry rainy season it started to rain when we were at the lower falls. By the time we got back to the main building to catch a ride back we all had to ring out our clothes because we were so soaked.


We left Sunday morning for Accra, getting back midday. It was interesting because while I was gone I had really missed my Ghanaian family. They all really feel like my real family now so it was great to come home and be welcomed back with the same feelings. Not to mention an amazing meal of fish and waakye with salad was there when I got back!

We had some intense bumps along the way since this was our first independent travel experience. I can't say for sure that I will be doing much more of that except around Accra and maybe a little later in November to the northern region to see Mole National Park and Tamale. Perceptions of foreigners often leads to ciaos at points and it became a little overwhelming, especially when we were trying to get transportation. Nevertheless, going to Hohoe was well worth the trials. Another fun fact is that my adopted sister, Bridget, comes from Hohoe. I was happy to see her part of Ghana.


I want to take a moment to let everyone know that with all the violence happening in Africa right now, I am safe and do not see any problems occurring Ghana in the near future. While Anti-American sentiment is high and rising this is mostly not a problem in Ghana. Just as there are many different sects and beliefs in Christianity, the same exists with Islam. Ghana in general is very peaceful and stays in good relation with the US. It is also about 16% Islamic, and mainly exists in the northern half of Ghana. Above all, even though Islamic sects are present in Accra there is constant talk of peace and it never has presented a problem. I caution everyone to keep in mind the intersectionality that history, politics, international relations, geography, religion, poverty, and more play a role in the development of violence and uprisings. So while it is true that a large amount of Islam exists in Ghana, the circumstances, context, and style of all issues play out in a very different way here than in countries with violence at the moment. Also, Libya, Sudan, Tunisia, and Egypt are all located in Northeast Africa, so very far away from Ghana considering Africa to be the second largest continent in the world. Anyways, I just bring this up because I have had many people ask of the safety and situations occurring here because of recent events. Thank you everyone for the concern; I am safe :)

On a less dense note, I can't believe that I am entering my 7th week in Ghana, AH! Time is flying by! So, I am choosing to take advantage of today and days to come, I hope yall do too!

Love and miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment